How to migrate from a Linux server with custom hosting to Plesk?
In case of migration from the following platforms, consider contacting Plesk Professional Services for assistance on a paid basis:
– HDE Controller 6
– ISPmanager 4 Pro
– ISPmanager 5 Business
– PPA (Plesk Automation or Parallels Plesk Automation)
– WebControl Panel
Otherwise, follow the instructions below.
Note: Migrating from servers with custom hosting can only be done via the command line, and not via the Plesk interface. It is not possible to automatically generate hosting description file.
If you have administrative access to the source server
- Log in to the destination Plesk server via SSH
- Install Plesk Migrator if it is not installed yet
- Prepare hosting description file. Name the file
hosting-description.[yaml/json], depending on the chosen format, and place it to
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migratordirectory. The file must contain the list of clients, subscriptions, addon domains, mailboxes, etc. to be transferred from the source server. Sample hosting description files can be found here.
- Prepare migrator tool configuration file. Name the file
config.iniand place it in the
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migratordirectory. The file must include the configuration and access information for the source server. Sample configuration file can be found here.
- Generate the migration list:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator generate-migration-list
The resulting file will be named
migration-listand will be placed to the
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/migration-session/directory. The migration list is a list of objects (customer and reseller accounts, service plans, domains, and so on) to be migrated.
- Edit the migration list. Remove the domains you do not want to migrate, assign domains you want to migrate to service plans, or re-assign them between customer accounts.
- (Optional) Validate the hosting description file:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator validate
Read more about hosting description file validation here.
- Start the migration:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator transfer-accounts
- (Optional) Perform an additional content sync:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator copy-content
The changes of hosting content that may have happened on the source server while the migration was running are transferred on the destination server. If you want to re-sync only specific types of content, use the
plesk-migrator copy-mail-content, or
- (Recommended) After the migration is finished, check the operability of the migrated objects on the destination server:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator test-all
If you do not have administrative access to the source server…