Are there any issues when changing the IMAP/POP3 server in Plesk from Dovecot to Courier?
Warning: switch from Dovecot to Courier and vice versa may result into all the messages being re-downloaded by Mail Client Software (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.)
Other notes on switching from Courier to Dovecot:
- Dovecot comes with Piegeonhole – server-side filtering engine, which can be configured from webmail interface and third-party extensions to mail user agents (MUAs) like Thunderbird.
- Dovecot supports pushing email through “IMAP IDLE” and optional “IMAP NOTIFY” protocol extensions.
- Dovecot uses Sieve language to define server-side filtering rules.
- Due to high diversity of Dovecot versions in OS vendor repositories, we build our own packages. Many Dovecot features that do not make much sense in Plesk context are left out (the provided version is built without their support).
- Dovecot does not support short mail account names with Qmail and POP3 authorization before SMTP.
- Switching back to Courier IMAP from Dovecot is not recommended, especially if a large number of new email messages have been received: This will cause re-downloading of email messages by mail clients.
- If you used SSL/TLS certificates with Courier IMAP, you can reuse them with Dovecot. To do this, take either
/usr/share/imapd.pemfile, and save it to
/etc/dovecot/private/under the name
ssl-cert-and-key.pem. Make sure that the new file has the
0400 root:rootpermissions. After that restart the Dovecot service.