Plesk Requirements – Hardware & Software
Plesk Onyx is the new generation of the very popular Plesk control panel for website hosts. Plesk Onyx has numerous advanced features and includes support for the latest tech, including Git, AutoSSL and Docker. The advanced features of Plesk Onyx means that Plesk Onyx hardware and software requirements are higher.
Plesk Hardware Requirements
As any other complex software solution, Plesk Onyx is dependent on hardware resources.
Plesk Minimum Requirements
- The minimum amount of RAM required for installing and running Plesk on Linux is 512 MB + 1 GB swap. On Windows – 2 GB of RAM.
- The minimum amount of free disk space required for installing and running Plesk is 10 GB on Linux and 30 GB on Windows
Plesk Recommended Requirements
For an ordinary shared hosting environment we recommend that you have at least 1GB of RAM per 40 – 50 websites. So, 200 websites would imply Plesk requirements of a minimum of 4GB. We base this recommendation on the following assumptions:
- On average, shared hosting servers see that about 10% of websites are active, in other words 10% of websites have a persistent level of traffic week in, week out
- 128GB of RAM will handle most websites. For example:
- 64MB for WordPress
- 64MB for Joomla
- 128MB for Drupal
- 128MB for Symfony
- A maximum of 1 to 3 simultaneous visitors for each website, with no more than 500 unique visitors per website on any given day
Websites with higher traffic (for example, 5 to 10 concurrent visitors and a total of 1,000 to 30,000 visitors per day) will require more RAM, in the range of 500MB to 1GB for each website. Also note that Plesk hardware requirements means that you need enough disk space for memory swapping.
|Amount of RAM on the server||Recommended free disk space for swapping|
|Less than 1 GB||1 GB|
|1 GB or more||1/2 * the amount of RAM|
As concerns disk space – we recommend having this much disk space for hosting:
|Type of hosting||Recommended free disk space for websites|
|Typical shared hosting (100-500 websites per server)||Between 2 and 2.5 GB per website|
|Dedicated VPS hosting (1-10 websites per server)||Between 4 and 12 GB per website|
Plesk Software Requirements
Plesk Onyx is dependent on operating system and its software environment.
Supported Operating Systems
Plesk Onyx for Linux can run on the following operating systems:
|Operating system||SNI support||IPv6 support|
|Debian 8 64-bit **||Yes||Yes|
|Debian 9 64-bit **||Yes||Yes|
|Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit||Yes||Yes|
|Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit **||Yes||Yes|
|Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit (Plesk Onyx 17.8 and later) **||Yes||Yes|
|CentOS 6.x 64-bit||Yes||Yes|
|CentOS 7.x 64-bit||Yes||Yes|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x 64-bit *||Yes||Yes|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.x 64-bit *||Yes||Yes|
|CloudLinux 6.x 64-bit||Yes||Yes|
|CloudLinux 7.x 64-bit||Yes||Yes|
|Virtuozzo Linux 7 64-bit||Yes||Yes|
* – You need to enable the “Optional” channel to install Plesk Onyx on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
** – Plesk only supports Debian 8, Debian 9, Ubuntu 16.04, and Ubuntu 18.04 servers running the “systemd” init system. Compatibility with “sysvinit” has not been tested and is not guaranteed.
- Before you start a Plesk installation, ensure that the package manager repositories (apt/yum/zipper) are configured and that these can be accessed from the server
- Currently Plesk supports CloudLinux, CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Plesk supports all available minor versions for these three OSs.
Plesk Onyx for Microsoft Windows can run on the following operating systems:
|Operating system||SNI support||IPv6 support|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bit, Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter editions, and Windows Web Server), including Server Core installations||No||Yes|
|Windows Server 2012 (64-bit, Standard, Foundation, and Datacenter editions), including Server Core installations||Yes||Yes|
|Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit, Standard, Datacenter, and Essentials editions), including Server Core installations||Yes||Yes|
|Windows Server 2016 (64-bit, Standard and Datacenter editions), including Server Core installations||Yes||Yes|
Plesk no longer supports Windows Server 2003, we recommend that you pick a more recent version of Windows Server according to the life cycle policy.
Note that the Plesk life cycle policy states that support for Windows Server 2008 has ceased on January 13, 2017. Also note that some Plesk features are not supported on Windows Server 2008. Plesk currently recommends that you use Windows Server 2012 R2 or later for running Plesk on Windows.
You must configure a static IP address on the OS before you install Plesk for Windows.
Plesk for Windows only supports NTFS and is an essential element of Plesk software requirements for Windows.
Support for ASP (active server pages) and FrontPage Server Extensions requires manual installation – you must install these components yourself.
To install on Windows Server 2008 you must first acquire and install Windows Installer 4.5, available from Microsoft.
Using Microsoft SQL Server in Plesk for Windows requires that Microsoft SQL Server is configured to use either standard security mode or mixed security mode. If Microsoft SQL Server is not already on your machine, install it while you install Plesk for Windows. It will be configured username “sa” and a password which is randomly chosen.
Plesk Installation Requirements
When installing Plesk, pay attention to the following installation requirements:
Note that link traversal protection on CloudLinux can cause many different Plesk issues. To avoid Plesk issues when link traversal protection is enabled, first disable the fs.protected_symlinks_create kernel option.
Active Directory Domain Controllers Support
We recommend that Plesk is not installed on a server that also acts as either a backup or a primary domain controller. If you do so you may find that the server crashes when domains with some names are created.
Plesk Onyx supports AppArmor on Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04 only. Before installing Plesk Onyx on Ubuntu 12.04 or any supported Debian version, disable AppArmor first.
The following browsers are supported:
- Mozilla Firefox (latest) for Windows and Mac OS
- Microsoft Internet Explorer® 11.x for Windows
- Microsoft Edge® for Windows 10
- Apple Safari (latest) for Mac OS
- Google Chrome (latest) for Windows and Mac OS
Smartphones and Tablets
- Default browser (Safari) on iOS 8
- Default browser on Android 4.x
- Default browser (IE) on Windows Phone 8
The following virtualization platforms are supported:
- Parallels Virtuozzo Containers 4.6 for Linux
- Parallels Virtuozzo Containers 4.6 for Windows
- Parallels Virtuozzo Containers 4.7 for Linux
- Virtuozzo 6 for Linux (Parallels Cloud Server 6)
- Virtuozzo Containers 6 for Windows (Parallels Containers 6 for Windows)
- Virtuozzo 7 for Linux
- LXC (Docker)
- Included in support is ensuring that Plesk functions properly, supports also includes discount licenses for “virtual servers”.
- Note that your license key may restrict you to running Plesk on a specific platform only. Your license key may be considered invalid in a different environment, however some functions such as Plesk repair, installation and others will remain working.
Earlier Versions Supported for Upgrade
Plesk Onyx supports upgrade from the following earlier versions:
- Plesk 12.5
- Plesk 12.0
- Plesk 11.5 (upgrade to Plesk Onyx 17.0 or 17.5 only)
- Plesk 11.0 (upgrade to Plesk Onyx 17.0 or 17.5 only)
Source Hosting Platforms Supported for Migration
Configuration and content from the following hosting platforms can be imported into Plesk Onyx:
- Plesk for Linux and Plesk for Windows: 8.6, 9.5, 10.4, 11.0, 11.5, 12.0, 12.5, and Plesk Onyx.
- cPanel 11.5
- Confixx 3.3
- Helm 3.2
- Plesk Expand 2.3.2
- Parallels Pro Control Panel for Linux 10.3.6
Plesk Supported Components
Plesk Onyx for Linux distribution packages include the following components:
- Plesk Premium Antivirus 6.0.2
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus 8.5
- AWStats 7.7
- ProFTPD 1.3.6
- qmail 1.03
- Courier-IMAP 4.16.1
- Postfix 2.11.11 (for CentOS 6, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, and CloudLinux 6)
- Dovecot 2.3.1
- Horde IMP 5*
- Horde 5.2.17
- IMP 6.2.15
- Ingo 3.2.11
- Kronolith 4.2.17
- Mnemo 4.2.11
- Passwd 5.0.5
- Turba 4.2.15
- Roundcube 1.3.6
- phpMyAdmin 4.7.7
- phpPgAdmin 5.1
- nginx 1.13.8
- OpenSSL 1.0.2n
- Apache Tomcat 7.0.70 (supported only in Plesk 17.0 and 17.5)
- Apache Tomcat Connector 1.2.41 (supported only in Plesk 17.0 and 17.5)
- mod_jk 1.2.40
- PHP 5.2.17, 5.3.29, 5.4.45, 5.5.38, 5.6.36, 7.0.30, 7.1.18, 7.2.6 (Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 and later) **
- Fail2ban 0.9.6
- ModSecurity 2.9.2
- ModSecurity Rule Set 2.2.9-30-g520a94b
- Resource Controller (for CentOS 7, Debian 8, and Ubuntu 16 servers)
- Node.js 4.6.1, 6.14.1, 7.0.0, 8.11.1, 9.0.0
- Phusion Passenger 5.1.12
- Ruby 2.1.10, 2.2.9, 2.3.6, 2.4.3 ***
- Bundler 1.13.5
- Rootkit Hunter 1.4.4
* – requires PHP 5.3.
** – making changes to the /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/php.ini file may result in Plesk failing to operate properly.
*** – On Debian 9, only Ruby 2.4.2 and later is supported.
Plesk Onyx for Microsoft Windows distribution packages include the following components:
- Plesk Premium Antivirus 6.0
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus 188.8.131.52 (Plesk 17.0 Update 43 and later)
- Microsoft SQL Server Express 2008 R2 SP2
- Microsoft SQL Server Express 2012 SP3
- Microsoft SQL Server Express 2014 SP2
- Microsoft SQL Server Express 2016 SP1
- Microsoft SQL 2017 Express
- MySQL 5.5.55 (for Plesk database)
- MySQL 5.6.39 (for customer websites)
- MySQL 5.7.21 (for customer websites)
- BIND DNS Server 9.10.6-P1
- Oracle Java Development Kit 5
- Apache Tomcat 7.0.70 *
- Apache Tomcat Connector 1.2.40 *
- MailEnable Standard 10.12
- PHP 4.4.9 (Plesk 17.5.3 and earlier), 5.2.17, 5.3.29, 5.4.45, 5.5.38, 5.6.36, 7.0.30, 7.1.18, 7.2.6
- ASP.NET Core 2.0.5 (Plesk Onyx 17.8 Preview 6 and later)
- ionCube Loader 5.0.21
- SpamAssassin 3.4.1
- myLittleAdmin 3.8
- phpMyAdmin 4.7.7
- AWStats 7.7
- Webalizer V2.01-10-RB02 (Windows NT 5.2) English
- Horde 5.2.17 and IMP 6.2.21
- Microsoft Web Deploy 3.5 + WebMatrix 3.0
- Microsoft Web Deploy 3.6
- URL Rewrite 2.1 for IIS 7
- Node.js 4.6.1, 6.12.3, 8.9.4, 9.0.0
- 7zip 18.01
*Supported in Plesk Onyx 17.0 and 17.5.
Supported Third-Party Components
- Apache 2.2, 2.4
- Postfix 2.6–3.1 (except for CentOS 6, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, and CloudLinux 6)
- BIND 9.8–9.10.6-P1
- Webalizer 2.x–3.x
- AWStats 7.0–7.4
- mod_perl 2.x (supported only in Plesk 17.0 and 17.5)
- mod_python 3.x (supported only in Plesk 17.0 and 17.5) *
- PHP 5.2–7.1**
- Apache Tomcat 5.5–8.0 — depending on the Linux distribution (supported only in Plesk 17.0 and 17.5)
Database servers and tools:
- MySQL 5.1–5.7
- MySQL community edition 5.5, 5.6, 5.7
- PostgreSQL 8.4–9.5
- MariaDB 5.5, 10.0, 10.1
- SpamAssassin 3.0–3.4
* – mod_python is not supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.x, CentOS 7.x, and CloudLinux 7.x.
** – the PHP used by Plesk for its webmail functionality (Roundcube, Horde) will be sourced from the repository supplied by your operating system vendor. Optionally, install PHP from a different repository by following the instructions of the repository vendor. Note that the package name must stay the same. If the package name is different (e.g. Webtatic or IUS) Plesk webmail will not work correctly. You will also risk issues with dependencies under future updates.
This list of third-part components is shortened. Not included in this list are components which come with the Plesk distribution – these are already stipulated as supported as they are included in the distribution.
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.5, 8.0, 8.5, 10.0
- MailEnable Standard / Professional / Enterprise / Enterprise Premium 5.10–9.16
- SmarterMail 10.0–16.3
- IceWarp Mail Server 184.108.40.206
- MailEnable Web Client
- SmarterMail Web Client
- IceWarp (Merak) Mail Server Web Client
Spam filtering tools
- SmarterMail Spamfilter
- IceWarp (Merak) Mail Server Anti-Spam
- SmarterMail Anti-Virus
- IceWarp (Merak) Mail Server Anti-Virus
- Microsoft DNS Server
- Simple DNS Plus 6.0.115
- Microsoft FTP Server 7.0-8.0
- SmarterStats 11.1
- ActiveState Perl 5.10.1
- ActiveState Python 2.6.5
- ASP.NET 2.0-4.x
- ASP.NET Core 1.0.5, 1.1.2
- ASP.NET Core 2.0 (“Windows Server Hosting (.exe) Runtime” on the download page)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005–2016
- MySQL community edition 5.5, 5.6, 5.7
- MySQL ODBC connector 5.3.7